Today, my precious angel turned thirteen months old. And...she got her first boo boo. Be still my heart! This independence and walking stuff is scary! Just to clarify though, today I cried much longer that Avaree did, but here is what happened...
We were leaving Mrs. Donna's house and Avaree insisted on walking herself to the car. I pur her down on the sidewalk and I was literally just a few inches from her. (Mrs. Donna has a concrete sidewalk that goes straight from her front door to where I park my car!) Avaree took off and I saw her start to teeter, but then I saw her stick her arms out (like usual) to catch herself. Regardless, I reached to grab her, but before I could get her, she scratched her little lip on the sidewalk. She cried for about 15-20 seconds, and I saw the blood and immediately started to cry too. I kept thinking, I was right there with her...how could she get hurt when I was right there?! Well...we knocked on Mrs. Donna's door (again) and she made us both all better again before we drove home. However, I learned something today.
I know that children fall down and that I can't protect her forever. But can I tell you that I want to? I want to protect her from everything. I had an epiphany this evening, while reliving those few seconds as I forlornly explained them to Brandon. I thought..."Gosh, I guess that's how God feels." He is right here with us, all the time, and still...we fall. He wants to guide us, protect us, hold our hands, and yet we want to do it all on our own--and sometimes we even let go.
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." --Isaiah 41:13
Thank you, Lord, for using one of your precious gifts to remind me of your love for me today.




No comments:
Post a Comment