Do you remember that Boys II Men song from years ago? I'm pretty sure I was in junior high when that was popular, so I know I'm dating myself, but I danced to it at more than one of the proms I attended in high school! :)
That is exactly how I feel about 2013.
In so many ways this past year was hard--really, really hard, but it was also miraculous--in many, many ways. I would be remiss if I did not take at least a moment to reflect on it.
The hills and valleys of 2013 all worked together to reveal God's amazing handiwork in our lives.
Here's my top ten (plus one) list!
1. Our family came to LABC! (Well, we actually started in mid-December, but it became HOME to us in 2013!)
2. Baby Barton (We didn't know if she was Felicity or Brandt until she was born!) showed signs of significant birth defects from thirteen weeks on. I had to have sonograms every four weeks through 33 weeks, and it was an extremely difficult time for me emotionally.
3. We moved out of our "Princess Castle" in Grapevine and moved into our new home in Arlington! While I was so very very happy to have a garage and a home again, I loved how simple our lives became in that tiny apartment. I will never ever take my garage for granted again though. This was our tiny tree in our tiny apartment last year. We were close in every sense of the word! ;) God certainly revealed to us why he had us in that apartment though. I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

4. The doctor's uncanny revelation that our baby was perfect with no health issues! The doctor's official notes stated that the echogenic focus must have been a heart muscle that didn't show up clearly at first, and the baby's kidney levels miraculously went back to below normal levels. We know that God healed our baby, and we are so thankful that he chose to do so. I will sing His Praises for the rest of my days. I remember going to breakfast with Brandon after our appointment completely numb with joy. I know that doesn't make sense, but I could barely move. I was so overcome with thankfulness. You can find more on Felicity's pre-birth story here.
5. Avaree became a BIG SISTER when Felicity was born on April 11th!
6. Felicity spent eight long days in the NICU. God chose to heal our baby again, and we will be forever grateful. We learned so much during those days, and God showed His mighty powers. On day 5 of her life, we went from discussions of intubation to amazing progress and never looked back. Thank you, Jesus!
7. …and just like that, I started living my dreams. I went from being a working Mom to a Stay-At-Home-Mom! I'm learning so much and feel so blessed to be with my girls!
8. Our first niece was born!!!!! Evyn Pearson Smith was born on July 15th (my Dad's birthday), and she is more precious than gold!!! :)
9. Avaree turned FOUR, and Felicity was dedicated at church all in the same weekend!
10. Brandon finished school!!!!!!!!!! This has been a long journey, and we are so thankful and SO PROUD that Daddy has completed his undergraduate degree in religion! YAY DADDY!!!! :)
11. …and most recently, we were able to celebrate Jesus's birthday as a family of FOUR! :)
Thank you, God, for 2013. I will forever treasure it in my heart, and thank you to our precious family and friends for praying us through it all.
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." --Romans 8:28
I can only imagine what 2014 will hold…
No comments:
Post a Comment