The drive to D.C. was absolutely beautiful!!!! I did have to take a little dramamine to make it through West Virginia, but it was still breath-taking!!! :)
When we passed through Memphis, Tennessee, I was just overcome with emotion. The last time I was in Memphis, I was leaving for Bogota, Colombia--the mission trip that changed my life. I am so thankful for all that the Lord has shown me, taught me, and blessed me with in the last 7 years. God is so good!
All the girls before church at Wisconsin Avenue on Sunday morning! These happy faces sang their hearts out even with very little sleep! :)
The best junior leaders ever! :)
We had the honor of going to Arlington National Cemetery that afternoon. It was humbling, interesting, and beautiful. I would love to go back some day.
The stunning view from JFK's grave site...
It was unbelievably hot, but the kids LOVED getting to watch the ceremonies!
The changing of the guards...
Carrying in the wreath that says "Crossroads Student Choir"...Four of our students got to participate in the wreath ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. So powerful!!!
Taps
So glad that our kids got to participate in this amazing ceremony!!!
The wreath that we donated sitting in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This was such an amazing thing to watch.
The kiddos in front of The National Harbor! Love them!!!
This precious little face belongs to Quinn. He was one of the 25+ kids that my family group had the pleasure of working with at WABC. We had five different ministry sites across the city, and we did VBS/service projects in the mornings, and then we all met back up in the afternoons for prayer walking and concerts in the afternoon/evenings. Brandon will be the first to tell you that the trip did not go exactly as planned, but the Lord had even better things in mind for us. Our kids and sponsors were so flexible, and the Lord honored our efforts in a multitude of ways.
For example, sweet little Quinn was talking to sweet Hannah Baker. Hannah was sharing with him about her Jesus. Quinn was telling her about the void in his life from not having a Daddy (as can best be described by a 5 year old), and then Hannah told him that he does have a Daddy--a Daddy that will never leave him--a Father in Heaven. Quinn was overcome with joy, and he ran over to his little brother jumping for joy exclaiming that they DID have a Daddy, and that they did not have to be sad anymore. That's worth it all right there, folks. The simple truths of our faith really can change lives.
Hannah wasn't the only one sharing her faith either, each of our students were so bold and open in sharing their hearts with the children of D.C. While we were in D.C., we were told that one in every two children in D.C. goes to bed hungry, while one in three adults is illiterate. Really? In our NATION'S CAPITAL? I was floored. There is beauty, honor, power, strength, and politics just a few miles from poverty and hurt. Praise the Lord that we were able to just hang out with these sweet kiddos for a few days, but Lord rise up some leaders that make this city their mission field. Will you pray for these sweet faces?
B and I in front of the Washington Monument (only you can't see it--ha). We took this picture for Avaree, and sent it to Gigi. She printed it out for Ave, and when I was unpacking Avaree's stuff I found it. She still carries it around sometimes. :) So sweet.
Loved, loved, loved getting to know this sweet family!!!! :) Thank you, Laura and Doug, for your leadership!
Singing in front of the Jefferson Memorial!!!
The Seniors with Brandon before we took them for their Senior Dinner at a seafood restaurant overlooking the water!
Brandon Barton: Solving the world's problems one goofy face at a time... ;)
Miss. United States (formerly Miss Arizona crowned the night before in D.C.) walked by. Do you think our guys would just let that happen? :) She was so gracious.
The LeRoys--love them!
Our kids blew me away. They were so quick to ask people if/how they could pray for them!
Jake praying for a sweet man in front of the Lincoln Memorial. So proud of our kids! They just walked around and prayed for/with people with boldness.
An impromptu singing of "Rock of Ages!" This picture was taken after B figured out what song he was actually supposed to be singing! :)
Brandon and Doug... hilarious together; although, here they are in decision mode!
hilarious!
love this picture of my love...
Group picture in front of the Lincoln Memorial! Love that Stan is in the middle with his Vintage Jesus shirt! :)
The view from standing atop a column that I probably shouldn't have been standing on. Thanks to Rick LeRoy for keeping me from falling! :)
So I might have a little crush on the director... ;)
...and I might have just sat down and cried. It was such a surreal few hours there. We were able to sing about Jesus in our nation's capital. It still hasn't gotten old. :)
We got to sing Happy Birthday to sweet little Isabella! Melt my heart!!
:)
Love that our Chinese visitors enjoyed singing with us! It's so cool that we really did get to sing to the whole WORLD in front of the Lincoln Memorial!
Mark preachin' it in front of the Lincoln Memorial!!!!! :)
This little boy attached himself to Tyler on our first day at WABC, and he didn't let go! Tyler was so good with him! :)Dawson had just mouthed, "Help, Mrs. Allison!" :) This little pumpkin LOVED him. :)
Lily LOVED Caleb. :)
Dawson getting squeezed again! :)
Soccer!!!
Mikayla and Hannah with the twins!
Zach just fell in love with this precious little one. It made my heart smile to see him playing with her!!!
Sweet baby girls. The Lord knew that I needed a group of kiddos where the oldest was only 6! :)
Eric was so precious with the little ones.
My little family group and some of our VBS kiddos at WABC on our last day with them!!!!
:) Dancing!
Love him and his big mouth! :)
Mark's birthday was on Thursday of our trip! Brandon called him up, and John Mark got to lead everyone in singing Happy Birthday to his Dad. It really was just a precious few moments.
Precious little divas!
Brandon leading the choir with a little helper! :) It's a good thing he is accustomed to doing things with a little one hanging on him! :)
Sweet Cheyenne could barely sing for all of her helpers! :)
Loved getting to visit with Travis. He is such a sweetheart!
Sweet Laura--loved getting to know her!
Matthew and his little friend!
Dawson and Jessica--they made my family group so much fun! :) Poor Dawson--he got to be my little one on the trip! I made him hold my hand as we were walking through the Metro Stations! :)
Sweet Mrs. Becky and her little friend!
Sweet Hannah and Madi praying with this sweet little guy! They gave him a bible!!!
A few of our sweet girls praying for a woman that had been sleeping in the park.
The Old Post Office Pavillion!
I had to have a picture looking down Pennsylvania Avenue! :)
Us outside the White House!
...and we had a Conga line in front of The White House. Awesome! :)
I had so much fun with my Big love at the Smithsonian Museums!!!
We took this picture for Ave! :)
Beautiful Capitol Building...
Singing with his kiddos on the steps of the Capitol...
A funny one of my guy to end this story in pictures. I'm so proud of him. I am so thankful for him, and even though his (Brandon's) timing, His timing (God's), and my timing don't always mesh, I am blessed to walk this journey beside him. I am blessed by his leadership. I am blessed by his commitment, and I am blessed by his love for me and for our family.
As if I didn't love him enough, I fell in love with him all over again on this trip.
He's a good man, a Godly man, and a man that has been through his fair share of trials and triumphs, but it's so awesome to look back and see the hand of God through it all. And do you know what the best part is?
Our journey has only just begun...
In conclusion, the trip was amazing. I was so happy to be home with my girl, happier when Daddy got home, and even happier when all the kiddos and sponsors got home that Sunday morning. God is good all the time. His mercies endure forever, and His plan is always best.










No comments:
Post a Comment